Let's Talk Beauty: My updated Skin Care Routine (for Combination Dry Sensitive skin)

1/14/2015 10:34:00 PM

 photo IMG_0113201502_zps403fa6ea.jpg

Hello 2015! I do hope everyone's starting the new year nicely. What better time for us to make some changes for the better (like by starting to take better care of ourselves) than right now, yes? Lol. Anyhoo, let's start with my first beauty post of the year! Whoo-hoo~!

For all my life, I assumed that once you know you have a certain skin type, you'll have that same skin type till the day you die. Apparently it's a myth, and I have been so wrong believing in it. 

2014 was the year when I really got to know more about my skin. I used to be a loyal user of certain brands, up until I got into college that I started to experience a change in the way my skin (or specifically my face) would react towards the brands I grew old with. 

I wasn't one to visit my dermatologist at all since I never really experienced serious problems with my face that I'd need professional help. However, as soon as I graduated from university, my skin somehow decided to graduate with me. I had really bad acne (like 3 inverted pimples at the same time, right next to each other) on my nose alone that I didn't know what to do anymore since my anti-acne products weren't strong enough to get rid of it like they usually do. So I ended up visiting my derma and she gave me antibiotics to take for a few days and a few other products that helped get rid of the bacteria that was apparently invading my nose (dear Lord, help me). 

I then learned that your skin changes as you change, and it ages as you age. And that just because you had oily skin growing up doesn't mean you'll have oily skin forever. A lot of what we consume and are exposed to everyday also play a huge part in how your skin changes. As we grow older, our hormones fluctuate, our bodies experience change, and that involves our skin as well. Like my friends used to have dry skin and after being exposed to a great deal of pollution in the environment, their skin became oily later on. Or like when you drink lots of water in a day, your skin will show how well-hydrated it is. I am so thankful that my friends and I are at that age where we can talk freely about beauty stuff and share our experiences and insights about brands and products with each other! It helps a lot when you know you can get first hand experience about things you're interested in.

As for me, I used to have combination of oily (t-zone) to normal skin (my u-zone). But for some reason, my skin evolved into combination dry sensitive skin, with my t-zone still oily but my u-zone (especially my cheeks) end up dry and flaky if I don't moisturize after washing. It could possibly be due to the change of weather since I noticed this change around November-December. Or it could be that my skin is still changing. Or both.

So after a year or so since my last skin care post (which you can read about here), I'm happy to share with you an updated skin care routine and the products I use religiously these days to help maintain my current skin's condition! Not to be boastful or anything, but I have to say that my current skin condition has to be at its best to date. I rarely get pimple breakouts, and if they do show themselves on my face, they don't stay beyond 3 days at most. I don't need to resort to BB cream or foundation or powder-foundations whenever I go out! Isn't that every girl's dream? Lol. It helps when you lessen the things you put on your face anyways. Hopefully my skin's condition doesn't change for the worst *fingers crossed*!

Disclaimer: I just want to say that whatever I do and use that will be shared in this post is not at all set in stone. Please ask your dermatologist first and/or do extensive research about your own skin and the effects it can do to you since every person's skin is different. Whatever effects these products have on me may have similar or different effects on you. If you want to find out what your skin condition is, you can take this test here.

 photo IMG_2015011301_zpsb924a610.jpg
From L-R: Nature Republic Fresh Green Tea foam cleanser, Etude House Aloe Moistfull soothing cream, Etude House Wonder Pore brush, Nature Republic Aloe Vera soothing gel

Day & Night Routine:

During the day, I wash my face with Nature Republic's Fresh Green Tea foam cleanser with just my ring and middle fingers. This helps by gently massaging the skin (note that too much pressure is bad since it can stretch the skin too much in the wrong places which can lead to aging and sagging) and spreading the product all over my face. 

After I wash the cleanser off with water, I apply dabs of Etude House's Aloe Moistfull soothing cream on my cheeks and chin (my u-zone) as they tend to dry in cold temperatures (like malls, windy places, etc.) My friend Alex (you can check out her beauty blog here) gave me a smaller one (that I conveniently bring with me when I go out) in the earlier months of last year when she went to Singapore (before Etude House Philippines had it in stock). It came in a sample packaging along with two other items from the same line (which I unfortunately don't use because it irritates my skin :( ). That was when I was first introduced to the skin care line, and since the cream worked well for me, I chose to stick with it and bought the bigger jar. It moisturizes my face instantly and doesn't leave any white traces once applied like other creams do. Plus it makes my skin look hydrated and dewy.

For my nightly routine, if I went out of the house during the day wearing makeup, I wash my face again with the same foam cleanser and exfoliate to get rid of the dirt accumulated from the day with the help of Etude House's Wonder Pore brush. The bristles really get into your pores and helps brush (no pun intended) out the dirt from underneath. Since the bristles are really soft and thin, your skin won't be damaged from it as long as you don't apply intense pressure on your face, of course. Light strokes are the way to go! Take note though, exfoliators may differ depending on your skin type. Den-den uses Etude House's cleansing puff since her skin is even more sensitive than mine, while others don't need to use exfoliators to begin with. Remember: to each her own!

If I didn't go out for that long, I just wash my face without the brush like how I wash my face during the day.

Unfortunately, I am still in the hunt for the right toner to use that won't make my uber sensitive cheeks sting. So I tend to just skip toning after cleansing for now (which I don't recommend; toning is very important). Although I have tried Nature Republic's Fresh Green Tea toner since Den-den introduced it to me recently and I have yet to buy one for myself. It didn't sting my cheeks, so I'm probably going to buy it next time I get a chance to.


As for moisturizing at night, I use the same soothing cream applied in the same way. Then before I sleep, I apply Nature Republic's Aloe Vera soothing gel to my eyelids, eye bags, lashes and eyebrows for an overnight moisturizing session. Den-den bought the actual soothing gel tub, which looks like this:


But the tub has so much gel for just one person to use, she shared almost half of it with me which I placed in the small jar with the black lid in my photo. I swear by this product as much as Den-den and Alex do. It helps me remove my dark eye bags especially when I tend to sleep really late. So when I wake up from sleeping late the night before, I don't have dark circles under my eyes at all! It also helped me grow my eyebrows out, even better actually, that I manage to skip pencilling in my brows whenever I go out! It helps grow my lashes as well (although results for this is slower than when I grew my brows out). I also put this on my nails before I paint them and after I remove the nail polish with nail polish remover (which can contain alcohol) to help moisturize them. Nature Republic actually has a small photo showing the benefits of aloe vera in their stores, which is pretty cool if you ask me. Feel free to try them out yourself!

 photo IMG_0113201501_zpse535d344.jpg
Nivea extra whitening anti-perspirant, Dove Go Fresh nourishment body lotion


After Bath


For post-bath time, I still use the same deodorant since not only does it make me smell good, it continues to prevent my pits from sweating. And it also keeps my armpits fair even after waxing and tweezing. Say no to dark under arms!

I'm always open to using other body lotions since my body doesn't seem to violently react yet towards any brand of body lotion. But if I had to choose, I love, love, love using Dove's Go Fresh body lotion with cucumber and green tea because of the added cooling sensation. This is the only lotion I ever used all these years that does not feel oily, or gives off that slight heated feeling when applied to my body. Instead, it gives off a light cooling sensation (like the bottle states) that is even more perfect when used during the hotter times of the year. You can really feel the cucumber and green tea essence working on your body with this. I literally feel fresh when I use this lotion, lol!

 photo IMG_0113201504_zpsad017816.jpg
L-R: Cemb Honey, Australia's Harvest oatmeal, Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser


For the Gentle Touch


There was a short time during the Christmas season when it became so cold that my dry skin became even drier and ended up flaky and even more sensitive than usual. It was pure horror. Never in my life have I experienced anything like it! I couldn't use anything from my regular skin care regimen because my face was in such a super sensitive state that anything chemically made hurts my skin. I literally wanted to crawl under the covers and stay there till my skin got better.. When I used my regular regimen, my u-zone would dry up so bad that it would flake even with moisturizer. And when I wash and moisturize like normal, it stings and hurts really bad! It's like my face suffered from wind burn and frostbite @_@

When I talked to my derma about it, she told me I should scrap my skin care products for now and go organic. So the next day, I placed a warm oatmeal mask for about a minute to detoxify my skin and replace my facial cleanser, then washed it off with warm water. And to moisturize, I applied a honey mask on my face for a minute and washed it off with water. That's it, no other products should be placed on my face till further notice.

After a day or two, when my cheeks weren't as super sensitive anymore, I replaced my oatmeal masks with washing my face using Cetaphil before going to bed. My mom has been using this for years and it's really made to be the mildest form of facial wash in the market that is made for all skin types and is fortunately made to be affordable as well.

Thankfully my skin went back to "normal" before the new year, so I was able to go back to my usual skin care routine (stated above).


So there you have it! My updated skin care routine. I love how it made my skin even better than it used to be, so much so that I can confidently go outside with minimal to no makeup at all. Coolness, right? Lol! Hope this post helps out those people who share the same skin types and problems as I do! If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave me a message below ^.^

Till my next post!


PS: New year, new blog theme! How dyou guys like the new look? Thank God I was able to tweak the codes the way I wanted it to work out. Heehee~


   ()()
  (.   .)o
c((')('))

Don't forget to follow me on my social platforms for more updates! :3
Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram   |   Tumblr   |   Bloglovin'

You Might Also Like

19 comments

  1. It’s really hard because our skin keepschanging. This winter I have been experiencing dry skin, something I never had before, meaning I had to make a few changes in my skin care routine as well. Though I’m pretty sure it will resume to its oily self when the heat arrives…

    You have a really nice skin care routine. I also use a green tea foam cleanser, but it’s from Innisfree and the next one will also be green tea, but from Missha.

    Aloe gel products are so good! I use them on my face, my body and hair. It’s one of my favourite products because it really calms my skin and it feels very fresh, not to mention the variety of ways you can use it, like it shows in the pictures.

    I’ve heard some good things about Cetaphil, though I haven’t tried it yet. But it seems to be a good product to have for emergencies when our skin is very sensitive.

    Great post!

    Kisses and take care.

    http://momodicted.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  2. True! I'll have to keep an eye for possible changes once summer rolls in @_@ I've been wanting to try Innisfree out since I've been hearing so many great reviews about their products. Unfortunately, it's not being distributed here in our country yet. Neither is Missha :'( Cetaphil is a great "in case of emergency" product! ^.^ Thanks for reading, Xana! Good luck with your skincare routine when summer comes too! <333

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angelica ChelseaJan 19, 2015, 2:30:00 AM

    Now i'm going to get that green tea toner ><
    Thanks for sharing! Oh, i just found your blog..
    Let's be friends!
    ♥, Chelsea



    www.angelicachelseaa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahah, I know your struggle, winter always does that to my skin. Thank you for the tips, I will definitely be trying these!xo

    http://bethinvogue.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to do oatmeal facemasks on myself all the time! But I always made such a mess when I did them hehe^^ My Mum struggles with dry skin too, so you've given me some inspiration on products I could get for her! Thanks for sharing<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for dropping by, Chelsea! Hope you like the toner ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was my first time to have my face dry so badly though! I used to just stick to my regular cleansing routine and only sometimes moisturize my face till this year @_@ Huhu! Hopefully my skin would behave for now >.< Good luck Beth! Hope they work well for you too! XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to put the mask on near the sink so I won't make too much of a mess, lol! XD Hope these products work well for her! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! Im so interested in the wonder pore brush and the aleo vera :)

    I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! BCfactor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're really useful for skincare apparently ^.^ Thanks Bea! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. For toner I could recommend you the Hada Labo Toner or the Natural Juju Aloe Moisture Toner which are both really great for sensitive skin. Also the Innisfree Soyabean Essence is nice, even though it's an essence I works really well as a moisturizing toner^^

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really do hope Innisfree comes to the Philippines already! D: I need so much of their products in my life, it's not even funny anymore, lol! I've never heard of Hada Labo or Natural Juju Aloe Moisture before :o I should look them up, thanks Roxi! ^ u ^

    ReplyDelete
  13. wonderful!! thanks for letting me know~ I really want to try the WonderPore brush! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. The WonderPore brush is really really soft~ But like any brush, it still needs to be used with a light hand since it can aggravate your face >.< Hope you'll like using it though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oatmeal masks are so heavenly. They always make my face feel so soft.

    http://arnellavanilla.com/2015/03/12/shimmer-smoke/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree! I love the feeling of post-oatmeal facials every time XD They're just a pain to clean up after though, lol :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a pain, I always have to watch out when I wash it off my face over the sink, gotta make sure I don't clog the drain!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks wonderful, thank you for sharing ♥
    Amy xx

    Perfect Imperfections

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! Your comments are greatly encouraged. I always love reading what you guys think. Please and thank you! :D

Subscribe