Real Talk: Save or Splurge? The realities of impulse buying

6/14/2014 12:00:00 PM


The word SALE is a double edged sword for us consumers, though very few of us know about it. It might seem like such a wonderful world whenever we see something on sale. Who could ever resist those 50% off signs and those equally tempting Buy 1 get 1 free items when seasons change and stores are having their semiannual clearance sale?


I for one am guilty of these kinds of things. Though I have been trying my best to be a practical shopper now.



Having survived on a student budget for all of my life (I'm about to join the unemployed group in life as I'm graduating from university in a few weeks and am looking for a job as of writing this) I have learned towards the end how to handle my money right. All these years, I've been spending my monthly allowance on online shops as soon as I see a SALE album.



I would browse the internet for items that I'd like and count the money I have left if ever I can still afford to buy it. Most of the time, I don't even need whatever attracted me in the first place. I only realize this bit whenever I look at my closet and see a pile of clothes and shoes that I have only worn at most 3 times. It's such a waste, to be honest. All because it was on sale.


A few years back, I used to think that being on trend is what I should do to keep up with the present fashion, so that whenever I blog, I won't look like I'm lagging behind the trends. Later did I realize that not all fashion trends are worth following. I learned this the hard way.


Those Jeffrey Campbell Lita boots that were a hit 2 years ago? Totally wasted money buying a few pairs inspired by it. I even fell down a set of stairs wearing those things! And ever since then, I've been shying away from walking in heels as much as I could. Like I said, I learned this the hard way. So where are those Lita boots now? I don't wear them much anymore if ever at all since my accident. Do other bloggers wear them these days too? I don't think so. I don't see Lita boots online anymore. I'm even trying to sell mine, if anyone is still interested in them. The money that I spent buying those boots are now gone and I'm even having a hard time gaining a bit of it back. Totally regretting my decision to buy them in the first place. 


A few days ago, I've stumbled upon an article tackling the truth about impulse buying (you can read it here). I was so surprised at how much money you actually spend over things you're made to believe would help you save! It was a total eye-opener for me, really. After realizing how blinded one can be by a sale sign, I began to think practically nowadays before I make a purchase. I also asked help from my mom in saving my future paychecks in case I get a sudden urge to spend on something unnecessary.



If you're up to being a practical shopper like I am and would like to start shopping smart and actually save some money while shopping for things you need, Raise.com is here to help you. Raise.com is an online marketplace where you can buy and sell discounted gift cards at a faster pace. My parents have been given GC's a lot for the past few years, and we sometimes don't get to use them. If you've encountered a similar situation, you now have an option to sell it over at Raise.com! No more time wasted waiting for buyers over at Ebay and other websites. Raise.com also has over 600 different brands where you can buy discounted GC's for your every needs, may it be for grocery shopping or replacing a handbag you've been using for years. Their goal is to help benefit you and your wallet rather than trying to sell you a flashy item that only appears to be on sale.

If you'd like to learn more about them, feel free to visit them over at www.raise.com now!





   ()()
  (.   .)o
c((')('))

Don't forget to follow me on my social platforms for more updates! :3
Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram   |   Tumblr   |   Bloglovin'

You Might Also Like

37 comments

  1. Such a great post!! I love that film, one of my favourites! I know exactly what you mean about walking in platform heels though, I had the exact same JC pair but the american flag style - I couldn't walk in them at all... they're still boxed under my bed now! x


    www.stylerehearsal.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rinako グレーJun 15, 2014, 3:14:00 PM

    Very nice post! I love those platforms! <33


    ✿ NEW POST ✿ ❤


    Rinako

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post! You have a great blog! <3

    Well
    I was wondering if we could follow each other via bloglovin, gfc, instagram,
    twitter, facebook and g+? Do visit my blogs and let me know in comments where you
    follow and I will follow back from both my blogs!! :)

    Kisses
    Charu
    http://www.myglossyaffair.com/
    http://www.myfashionfootprints.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you and I should be as wise as you are, I will check this wesite off as I am on a budget!

    Don't Call
    Me Fashion Blogger


    Facebook

    Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh poo! It's such a waste, isn't it? >.< I'm filing this JC experience under the "What was I thinking??" folder in my brain. Charging it to experience is the only thing I can do for now. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Rinako! Haha, if only we have the same shoe size, I'd gladly give mine to you :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Charu! Left you a comment in both blogs :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still learning to be wise more often; I still slip sometimes, lol! The force is strong in the side of shopping :P Thanks Francesca! Good luck with being a wise shopper now; hope this article helped! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear, randomly found your blog and I’d like to say that you have amazing design, beautiful photos and interesting posts! I’m also impressed by your style! Everything is magnificent!

    would you like to follow each other?

    will be happy to see you in my blog)

    www.dianacloudlet.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. gosh impulse buying is my guilty pleasure <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always like..."I have not enough clothes in my closet"...
    but these days, I put myself away from that feelings

    xx
    Overload Journals
    find me on: INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you immensely for your sweet and caring message on my blog. I hope things are getting better for you too. I’m also truly sorry for my late reply and visit to your blog.

    Sales are very dangerous! I do love sales,since I’m also on the employment gang as well, but we have to be so much careful! I do admit to losing my mind at times, but I’m definitely not one of
    those people that takes the whole store home. But I do understand what you mean,
    that sometimes it really feels like a waste. I’ve seen people just grabbing items of clothing randomly because they are cheap, without even trying them on, without even knowing if it fits (you can tell that a lot of the times, they will not fit) or if it looks good on them.

    I’ve been trying to teach my mind to buy basic and more classic items when sales arrive. Items that you know will still be wearable in a couple of years, and try to find better quality ones, so that instead of having a closet filled with things we don’t wear and that aren’t trendy anymore, we have things that are useful. But I know it’s hard!!!! Just don’t beat yourself over it, we all learn from our mistakes.

    Take care and kisses. Pleasure talking to you.

    http://momodicted.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, I like that you shared your experience with us. I am in the world of unemployed now I actually miss school days. I love shopping it's an obsession I still have some new stuff I haven't worn.
    Stop by our blog, if you like we can follow each other on gfc and bloglovin let us know. Kisses from Kenya

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice post :D I'm such a sophaholic too. Anyway, I just followed your blog :)

    http://imaginarymi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice post honey. I enjoyed a lot.
    Thanks a lot for youe sweet comment on my blog. I follow you too on gfc now. I would love if we can follow each other on other social medias too. Do let me know and I will follow back instantly :)
    Love
    Charu
    http://myglossyaffair.com
    http://myfashionfootprints.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah yes, I was very careless in my early twenties - only now learning to control myself and say no! Sales can be pretty dangerous, I always look at the original price and judge if it is really worth it. Sometimes it's like $10 off and for me that is no point in going nuts over but when it's almost or over half price-pow you got a deal! hahaha!

    SDMxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much Diana! :"> Followed you on GFC and I Liked your FB page :D Can't wait to see your next post! Those new Louboutins are gorgeous! <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha! Me too actually. I'm trying to change this bad habit of mine though. I think my wallet deserves a break till I get a job to support my lifestyle :P

    ReplyDelete
  19. A few years ago I was like that too! "I have nothing to wear" when I have a closet full of clothes I don't wear anymore, lol. #GirlProblems Good for you that you don't think that way that much anymore! :D Thanks for dropping by Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awww thanks so much Xana! Things are getting better for me too :D OMG I know what you mean! I've been training my brain to go for classic and basic pieces of clothing nowadays too! :) Investing is the key \o/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you Mi! :D Followed your blog on GFC too! <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad you enjoyed! Thanks for dropping by Charu! :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh gosh, I know that feeling so well, lol! Clearance sales are always tempting @.@ Thanks for dropping by Sonia! <3

    ReplyDelete
  24. nice post......
    you and your blog is so beautiful.............





    Fashion Mart

    ReplyDelete
  25. "...I realize that not all fashion trends are worth following" I AGREE WITH YOU!!(ง •̀_•́)ง
    I have wardrobe full of t-shirts, but when i go out, I always wear my 'favorite' tees
    But now im kinda doing mix n match so my clothes won't stay in wardrobe too long!(ง •̀_•́)ง

    ✧。・゚゚・Adventure of P-Chaaaan!!・゚゚・。☆

    ReplyDelete
  26. Haha! Thank you P-chan! ^.^v Our clothes need to see the light someday too! It's good you mix and match your clothes now :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Me too! It's one of my favorites! <3

    ReplyDelete
  28. I used to be an impulse buyer but I realised for the last year that it's better to plan and budget than to buy something that I don't really need. :) Thanks for the helpful tips!

    Take care always, love Christine ~ xx
    BLOG | BLOGLOVIN' | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm starting to plan and budget my money too! It's totally helpful, and less stressful :) You're welcome! Thanks for stopping by Christine! <3

    ReplyDelete
  30. i'm shopping addict!!

    www.mrsnoone.it

    kiss

    ReplyDelete
  31. I used to be one too! :P Thanks for dropping by Carmen! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nice post. I usually know what I want or need. After shopping around for the best prices, I then wait for them to go on sale before purchasing it.
    I use sales but only if I need the item. I am on a budget and will try to stretch my dollar as far as it can go.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oohh I'm trying to do that these days too XD I have to think long and hard if I really need an item or not before I buy them. Thanks for dropping by Lady Lilith! :D

    ReplyDelete
  34. have anice we
    !www.mrsnoone.it

    kiss

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! Your comments are greatly encouraged. I always love reading what you guys think. Please and thank you! :D

Subscribe